Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Athletic Training Philosophy as a Clinician

As an athletic trainer, I believe in providing the best possible health care to my patients.  In being able to provide this care I realize that I need to possess a variety of skills.  The obvious skills include those cognitive and psychomotor skills any athletic trainer should possess.  These are entities that are outlined through the Role Delineation Study.  Perhaps not so obvious are the skills that can differentiate a ‘average’ athletic trainer from an ‘outstanding’ athletic trainer.

I take pride in learning about the patients to which I provide care.  This includes learning more about the individual, their culture, language and their life.  I feel that I am a better clinician for taking the time to know my patient on more of a personal manner, rather than as a clinician/patient relationship only.  I also realize this philosophy will conflict with what others may follow as their mantra as a professional, however, for me, this type of relationship between clinician and patient affords me the opportunity to provide the best care possible while also taking into account the needs, values and philosophies of my patient.   

I understand the importance of confidentiality and maintaining a level of decorum that reflects the Code of Ethics of the National Athletic Trainer’s Association.  As a ATC, I make it part of my philosophy to demonstrate, through my actions, the importance of being a professional member of the association.  The manner in which I talk with patients, assist with their rehabilitation and manage acute care situations reflects positively on myself and on the profession of athletic training.

I value learning and as such have committed myself to be a life long learner.  I make efforts to hold the role of either a presenter or participant at professional meetings at the state, district and national level. I educate myself through reading and viewing the literature and research being conducted with content in the medical community as it relates to athletic training.  I also feel it important that I am an active participant in developing the very literature in which fellow professionals are reading.  I therefore, make effort to publish within professional journals in order to further promote the profession of athletic training. Ultimately, it is my belief that I am able to provide the best care to my patients when I am up-to-date with what the literature is discussing. 

I believe that through the efforts I have taken, and through the philosophy I have developed I am able to provide the best care possible to my patient base.  This includes providing both acute and long-term care.  I provide best practices as have been identified in our professional literature to give care to patients with the goal of getting them back to their skills of daily living or to participation as quickly as possible while at the same time providing no further harm.





No comments:

Post a Comment